The 19th edition of the Asian Games is recently concluded at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Stadium, Hangzhou, People’s Republic of China. The Asian Games 2023 started on 23rd September and ended on 8th October. It is a multi-sport event is hosted by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA). The event is officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and it is 2nd largest multi-sport event after the Olympics Games. It brings together various athletes from different countries of the Asian continent.
In the Asian Games 2023, 665 athletes from India participated and competed against top athletes from other nations in 39 sports. India is associated with this quadrennial tournament since its inception in 1951 in New Delhi and performing well consistently winning numerous medals in various sports.
As always, this time also China has won the highest number of medals across different events. Let’s have a look at the Top 5 Asian Games 2023 medal tally country-wise:
Indian athletes have crossed century winning a magical figure of 107 medals at the Asian Games with their blood, sweat and toil to give the country an early Diwali gift, and a promise of a best-ever harvest for the upcoming Olympics to be held in Paris in, 2024.
In Hangzhou, India’s final tally stands at 28 Gold, 38 Silver and 41 Bronze, which is a significant leap from the 70 medals won in Jakarta, Indonesia, 2018.
Key Highlights of India @ Asian Games 2023
- This is the officially recorded highest-ever medal tally for India.
- India started its medal tally with Jyothi Vennam winning gold in Women’s Archery Compound Individual Event.
- India won it’s first ever gold medals in the Air Rifle Shooting and Women’s Cricket.
- After a gap of 41 years, India clinched a gold medal in equestrian sports. The Indian equestrian team consist of Anush Agarwalla (Etro), Hriday Vipul Chheda (ChemXPro Emerald), Divyakriti Singh (Adrenalin Firfod) and Sudipti Hajela (Chinski).
- In the individual dressage competition also India has a won a medal for the first time.
- Athletics Avinash Sable was won the first ever Gold medal for India in the Men’s 3000m steeplechase.
- India achieved its biggest victory against arch-rivals Pakistan in Hockey which ensured qualification for Paris Olympics.
- Parul Chaudhary won gold in the women’s 500 meters, becoming the first Indian female athlete to do so.
Q. What is the name of Asian Games 2023 mascot?
A. “Chenchen, Congcong and Lianlian” – these 3 robotic mascots are collectively named ‘Memories of Jiangnan’. The names are derived from a poem composed by Bai Juyi.
Q. What is the motto of the Asian game?
A. The motto is “Ever Onward”.
Q. What is the slogan of the Asian game?
A. The slogan is “Heart to Heart”.
Q. Where will be held the next Asian Games 2026?
A. The Asian Games 2026 will be co-hosted by the city of Aichi and Nagoya in Japan.